If you are an aspiring novelist, you may not think to bother with short stories. They can feel too limiting, as you only have so many pages to tell a story before it stops being short. However, there are actually a lot of great reasons to write short stories, especially if you have never tried them before and are trying to kick-start your writing career.
As a longtime book reviewer based in Montreal, Canada, Jody Royer is now transitioning into a career as a fiction writer. Royer’s Reviews often feature short stories published independently by lesser-known authors. Today he shares 5 reasons why writers should write short stories.
- They can help introduce you to new audiences. People may not want to commit to a long book from a new author right away, but they might be more willing to read your short story to see if they like your writing style!
- It makes you a better storyteller. If you are used to writing longer pieces, doing something new can help you think creatively in a new way. Short stories may sound easy to write, but it is actually very challenging to write a good short story because you have to make every word count.
- Short stories can often be a great way to work through new ideas before you commit to writing a full novel.
- They are great for adding to your portfolio and resume. Short stories are easily shareable, so new readers and others in the industry can easily read them and get a sense of who you are as a writer.
- The film industry often buys short stories to be turned into movies because it is easier to do this than turning a whole novel into a film.